Wednesday, September 08, 2004

JEHPR week 1

I want to give those of you who don't know about the JEHPR a brief overview (for those of you that already know about it you can skip to the bottom).

The JEHPR is the Jeffrey Edward Hall Power Rankings. They are a series of coefficients that rank Offense, Defense and Strength of Schedule to determine a "best" NFL team. The numbers are then combined to form a way to handicap games for betting purposes. Historically, I'm batting 55% ish overall but well over 60% for my recommended games (somewhere near 66% last time I checked). While I would never recommend that someone bet all of my recommended games blindly (the JEHPR doesn't figure in injuries for one... ) it has proven an excellent tool for several friends to help identify games that have irrational spreads. It has proven far more reliable then the Sagarin Rankings and the hypothetical spreads that it produces have proven to be roughly 50-50 (slightly in favor of the underdog). If anyone wants some technical information or has any questions please feel free to post or to email me. Now, on to the rankings.

Bear with me as I'm trying to find an easy to read format. For this first week I will probably just list the teams and then give the picks... not sure what else to do. I'll have to look into posting excel sheets into the Blog.


1 Panthers
2 Bucs
3 Jaguars
4 Titans
5 Ravens
6 Browns
7 Redskins
8 Seahawks
9 Cowboys
10 Jets
11 Steelers
12 Raiders
13 Saints
14 Bengals
15 Dolphins
16 Vikings
17 Lions
18 Falcons
19 Colts
20 Broncos
21 Chargers
22 Giants
23 Bills
24 Chiefs
25 Packers
26 Bears
27 Rams
28 Eagles
29 Patriots
30 Texans
31 Cardinals
32 49ers

That definitely takes up too much space so I'll have to look for a better way. Here's my picks with my lines Danny Sheridan's lines in (). Those games that appear in bold are my "recommended" picks (note that the recommended picks are based purely on math and don't take into account any last minute changes or injuries). If a number in ()'s is negative then it means that I am taking the opposite position from the published spread (as in the first game in which the Patriots are expected to win but I am picking the Colts by .5


Colts @ Patriots: Colts by 0.5 (-3.5)
Titans @ Dolphins: Titans by 2.5 (3.0)
Raiders @ Steelers: Steelers by 2 (4.0)
Bucs @ Redskins: Bucs by 0.5 (-1.5)
Ravens @ Browns: Browns by 0.5 (-3.0)
Jaguars @ Bills: Jaguars by 5 (-3.0)
Bengals @ Jets: Jets by 3 (4.5)
Lions @ Bears: Push (Bears by 3.0)
Cardinals @ Rams: Rams by 3.5 (11.0)
Seahawks @ Saints: Seahawks by 0.5 (2.0)
Chargers @ Texans: Chargers by 0.5 (-5.0)
Giants @ Eagles: Push (Eagles by 9.0)
Cowboys @ Vikings: Cowboys by 0.5 (-4.5)
Falcons @ 49ers: Falcons by 5.5 (3.5)
Chiefs @ Broncos: Broncos by 2.5 (3.0)
Packers @ Panthers: Panthers by 9.5 (3.0)

So if you were to bet strictly on the JEHPR you would take:
Colts, Browns, Jaguars, Cardinals, Chargers, Giants, Cowboys and the points and you would take the Panthers to cover. Again, I encourage anyone who is interested to ask me about the details and the methodology (I'm a nut for this kind of stuff) and I also encourage anyone who is going to place wagers to do so responsibly and after doing their own research into the games.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'll comment. I'm betting $200 per recommended game each this season. That means if you do poorly, I could lose a kneecap. So you better do well, skinny boy, or I'll hobble half way across the country to come after you.

I also have a question . Could the JEPHR rank the teams in the Landis Legends? It'd be great if we knew the spread going into each weeks games; then we could take side action on, say, whether the Sluts can cover against the Lizzos...

Sincerely,

Future Gambling Anonymous Member (I'd bet)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home