Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Fantasy Football and the JEHPR

For those of you that don't know I've become a bit of a football junkie over the last 10 years. I play in multiple fantasy leagues every year and usually participate in an office pool (small money) but my biggest geekdom item is the JEHPR (that's Jeffrey Edward Hall Power Rankings) which I create. I'm trying to figure out if the blog will let you host any files and if it will I will start posting the JEHPR results here. If it won't I'll still post my recommended picks and what not here. So tune in here for all the action :)

For those of you unfamiliar with the JEHPR it's a power ranking based on score, yards allowed and Strength of Schedule that seeks to quantify a proper spread (vs. a gambling spread) and a over/under. I've been pretty hit and miss with the over/under (about 50/50) but my spreads are pretty good. Historically, my spreads are about as accurate as gambling spreads (meaning the favorite covers about as often as they fail to cover) but I pick the right side of the published spread about 55% of the time and in games in which my spread varies by more then 3 points from the published spread that percentage rises to 65%. In the last 3 years that I've done it my accuracy has been especially high in weeks 4-8 (including an impressive span one year of 20-2). If you're looking for a way to get an edge in an office pool I think the JEHPR is an excellent supplemental tool. And as a bonus it ranks the individual teams as well.

Week 1 JEHPR results should be available next Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home