Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Tom Delay... the Wiley Hammer

The Tom Delay story is really starting to gain ground. This Fox News commentary (fair and balanced remember!) says about Delay, "Opponents cannot bring themselves to trust the democratic process to work." I find that a fantastically humorous statement given that Delay was critical in orchestrating the adjustments made to voting districts in Texas. You may remember the mass exodus of state representatives to the hotel across the border in an attempt to stall the proceedings.

Delay is a guy who has milked the system. He has had ethical run-ins several times (including being reprimanded on multiple occasions by his own party). This latest case is a prime example of how "soft" money is used in politics. Our political system hinges on two things, Freedom of Speech and Money. Unfortunately, those two things create a tidy little conflict of interest.

If I were to run for office (something which I can't imagine ever doing) I would have all of my money put in a blind trust. I'm not sure that that is the most practical way to do things but I think it's the only ethically clear way to do things. Sure, people could still tell me, "Hey I sent $20,000 to your trust" but really, everyone could tell me that and I'd never know which were telling the truth and which were exaggerating or even outright lying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home