Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fantasy Football update

Once again I'm getting screwed by the football gods. While I'm leading my 6 person "Elite" league (by the hair of my chinnychinchin). I'm 8th in our 16 person league despite being (essentially) in third place by scoring. The disparity is quite annoying but, hopefully, will even out over time. I've long been an advocate of some kind of different method of keeping track of fantasy football records.

The standard system is to randomly pit teams against each other each week. This works fine for real football. A game in which two teams actually have influence over each other. In Fantasy Football, however, it stinks because you can't actually play defense or influence the opponent in any way. This leaves you to the mercy of random chance. You could (conceivably) score the 2nd highest score each week and still finish winless if you were pitted against the top point scorer. I have two suggestions.

Impement "defense": I'm not talking about picking a team defense. I'm talking about each opponent getting to choose one player that they defend against. This could be as simple as saying that that player's points are reduced to zero or it could be as complicated as saying that you have to choose a pair of players at the same position. If my guy outscores your guy then your guy is reduced to zero.

The other suggestion is to have every team play every other team for record keeping purposes. So in our 16 person team you have 15 opponents each week and will finish with a ton of games (I think we play 13 weeks so 195). In this way you can still be rewarded by high scoring weeks but you also are punished for lowscoring weeks. The results in our 16 person league are pretty marked:

The 3rd place team dropped to 11th, My  8th place team rose to 5th, and the 6th and 7th teams dropped to 13th and 14th respectively... The top and bottom two remained the same and the records are more closely aligned (but not identical to) the points scored... I think it's an excellent system that I will strongly consider implementing next year

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home