Tuesday, September 18, 2012

POS manufacturing vs. Station Manufacturing

For the last month and a half, I've been primarily focused on station manufacturing. As I'm rejiggering my spreadsheets now, I realized that I need to re-prioritize what I build and even how I invent. When you're doing T2 manufacturing in a station, the copy slots are far and away the worst bottleneck. They're worse in many ways than the ME slot bottleneck because ultimately if you're building something like Co-Processor II's, the cost of the actual Co-Processor I's is tiny and if you don't even bother to research it's ME down some it's not a particularly big deal. So with that in mind, you want to maximize the profit from each invention attempt because each BPC is precious. So my spreadsheet is geared towards giving me the Expected Value (EV) from clicking the invention button. It does this by calculating the maximum profit and multiplying by the chance of success and then subtracting off the cost to invent (from datacores and any meta items used). This gives me the EV for each invention attempt and represents, theoretically, how much richer I get every time I click the invent button. Because of this, the +9 run decryptor has been an integral part of my repertoire when it comes to building ships.

However, now that I'm moving to POS manufacturing, the copy slots will no longer be the major bottleneck. The bottleneck now will reside mostly in the actual manufacturing process, particularly with ships. Ships require 6 components to be constructed in quantities that typically take 12-24 hours. The ship then frequently takes 1-2 days to build. So you're looking at tying up 6 slots for roughly a day and then 1 slot for roughly 2 days. So I'm looking at focusing less on EV per invention attempt and more on per unit profitability. That will probably require a shift towards the +2 run decryptors (that also give +4 PL and +1ML). Those decryptors make a nice all around BPC that generally allows a highly profitable production run. As an example, a Viator build from the +9 will be about $14MM in total profit per unit for total profit across the entire BPC of $141MM. On the other hand, building from the +2 run BPC will yield only $64MM per BPC but that's $32MM per unit (and more quickly built).

I need to rejigger the sheet to make sure I'm inventing the right things but it's a mindset shift that's interesting.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home