Monday, June 07, 2004

Stocks to look at

This weekend a friend of mine asked what I thought were some good growth stocks that could be the next Wal-Mart or Cisco. Kinda like asking if I've seen the holy grail lately but it got me thinking.

Here are my suggestions:
Altair Nanotechnologies (ALTI): Tiny Nanotech company in Reno. Has cash reserves equivalent to about 11 quarters of operational expenses. Currently is in the process of ramping up its sales to match its rather high salaries. Intends to fund the growth of its intellectual portfolio through the current contracts. The company specializes in materials science and something called Titanium Dioxide Pigment Technology

Caterpillar (CAT): Caterpillar is not sexy but it is dependable. It is currently slightly depressed but given that we are headed into a recovery I would suggest that a company that makes construction equipment is ideal. It's 19.66 P/E and 1.92% Yield are just icing

Hancock Bank Holding Company (HBHC): Another not very sexy choice. Trades at 16.80 P/E with a 1.66 EPS and 1.79% yield. I would wait until a day or two after the rate hike in June before buying any bank stocks but I'm a firm believer that the markets act irrationally with regards to Bank stocks and rates. A Bank that is well structured will not suffere when rates rise.

Other areas that I like: Alternative Fuels, Nanotechnology, Aerospace Technology (though I would stay away from anyone who wants to explore, colonize or mine space for right now) and Artificial Intelligence research. I think those are the big growth industries for the next century. Find a couple companies with low priced stocks that you can take a risk on and spend some money and roll the dice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home